Foster carer training
We believe that foster carer training is essential in helping our carers to provide the highest quality care for looked after children and young people. Our foster carer training also recognises that fostering has become increasingly demanding and complex.
Fostering People is committed to providing good quality foster care training and development opportunities that are accessible and relevant to every foster carer.
We train our foster carers so that you have every opportunity to support yourselves, with your Social Worker available to offer any further support that you require.
Training foster carers
Foster carer training is provided to:
- Improve knowledge, develop and refine skills.
- Establish an explicit, positive framework of values, which promotes equality of opportunity.
- Encourage foster carers to reflect and look at the effects of discrimination in all parts of the community, recognising that they care for children in the context of a wider society, and that for many children discrimination is a fact of everyday life.
- Ensure that all foster carers are competent and confident in safer caring and in protecting children from harm.
- Encourage foster carers to take responsibility for their own professional development through the creation of individual training profiles.
Post approval fostering training
Fostering People provide post approval training, utilising a mix of 'in-house' and external training providers.
All Fostering People foster carers are expected to follow a core curriculum, clearly linked to:
- Training, support and development standards for foster care (TSD).
- The national minimum standards which focus upon securing and promoting the welfare of children and young people.
- The competencies identified within the Diploma in Childcare.
- Key findings from research, government guidance and examples of best practice.
The core curriculum incorporates mandatory training for all Fostering People foster carers in the areas of:
- Safer Caring
- First Aid
- Managing Behaviour
- Drugs/Substance misuse
Foster Carers' training needs are constantly monitored by Supervising Social Workers and formally evaluated through annual reviews of carers' terms of approval. Opportunities to access Diplomas in Childcare are available.
Read our foster carer training evaluation
Our foster carers have been kind enough to evaluate Fostering People training from January to December 2011 to let us know how we did.
To discover the results, read our foster carer training feedback!